Vegetable oil, for frying
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
1 pkg store-bought cheese ravioli (the small ravioli)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 1/2 cup marinara, heated (for dipping)
- Pour enough oil into a large frying pan to reach a depth of 1 inch. Heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325 degrees F.
- While the oil is heating, put the buttermilk and the bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls.
- Working in three batches, dip ravioli in buttermilk to coat completely. Allow the excess buttermilk to drip back into the bowl.
- Dredge ravioli in the bread crumbs. Place the ravioli on a baking sheet, and continue with the remaining ravioli.
- When the oil is hot, fry the ravioli in batches, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried ravioli to paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle the fried ravioli with Parmesan and serve with warmed sauce for dipping.
Yields: ~20 ravioli
Adapted from Everyday Pasta
Estimated time: 30 minutes